Cold rice salad with apples and cashews, Indian-style. A simpler, Western version of the Indian-style rice salad that I previously posted, with a fresh combination of herbal, fruity, and nutty tastes. A good use for that cold rice sitting in the back of your fridge. Since I think I entered this in the dorm room contest, I'll say that the total cost of ingredients is. "A colorful, fragrant Indian-style rice.
Inventive Vegetarian's Apple Walnut Salad Wild Rice Salad with Chicken, Dried Cherries. An easy side dish to take to picnics, potlucks or just enjoy at home is this recipe for cold Thai rice salad. This rice salad with cashews has a spicy. You can cook Cold rice salad with apples and cashews, Indian-style using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cold rice salad with apples and cashews, Indian-style
- You need 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped apple.
- You need 1/2 cup of cashews, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of crushed cardamom seeds (optional).
- You need 1/4 tsp of coriander seeds.
- You need 1/8 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1/8 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tbs of coconut oil.
- You need 1/2 tbs of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tbs of chaat masala powder.
- You need 1 tbs of butter.
- You need 1 tsp of jaggery paste (brown sugar would also work).
- You need 1/4 of of a medium red onion, finely diced.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped mint.
- You need to taste of salt.
- You need of Yogurt (optional).
Rustle up a rice salad as a main or side dish. From rice tabbouleh to warm salads, using brown Kofta-style kebabs with feta, harissa and onion, served with a wholesome basmati rice flavoured with Made from wild red Camargue rice, cashew nuts, lime juice, spring onions and coriander, this. If desired, for presentation purposes, the rice can be pressed into a lightly-oiled bowl, inverted and unmoulded on to a decorative serving plate, and then garnished with fresh coriander and slices of lime and tomato. New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice with Fresh Ham HocksPork.
step by step Cold rice salad with apples and cashews, Indian-style
- Heat coconut oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, then add the cardamom, cumin, coriander, and mustard, and bloom until fragrant, about 30 sec to a minute..
- Lower heat to low-medium, add in rice, then season to taste with salt. Add in turmeric and chaat masala, and mix. Heat for about five minutes, mixing often, then remove from heat..
- Peel and core the apple and cut into small chunks. Melt butter and stir in jaggery paste until dissolved, then add apples. Coat well and cook over medium-high heat until apples turn brown and tender but are still firm (3 to 5 mins)..
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice, apples, chopped cashews, and diced onions. Refrigerate until cool..
- Just before serving, add mint and mix thoroughly. Serve as is or with yogurt on the side..
This old-fashioned salad is part of my favorite meal that Mom used to make. Crunchy apples, celery and walnuts blend well with the creamy mayonnaise. I'm a diabetic so this is my fruit/vegetable meal from now on. I may try raw cashews next time. Recipe by Kumquat the Cats fr.